Author Topic: GameMaker any1?  (Read 4995 times)

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
GameMaker any1?
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:39:41 PM »
Does anybody here use GameMaker to.. make.. games? ;D

GM is basically the reason why i have not played any games but my own lately. :-*
BikeDriv:))))

Haha blwelrwelrt, I registered here earlier :P

Offline Simon

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Retired
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: [CP]Simon
Re: GameMaker any1?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:27:20 PM »
Nah, I used to use RPG Maker quite a few years ago which I believe is similar. I trialled a very old version of GameMaker back then so it's probably way different. What's the best features that you've found?

Offline blewert

• The big cheese
  • Management
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: trewelb
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 01:17:55 AM »
As part of my last course, we had to make some games via gamemaker. I found the graphical programming approach a bit weird, and ended up making a top-down zombie game wrote (mostly) in GML!

It's surprisingly quite decent, and I'm pretty sure with enough determination you can create very elaborate games.

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:12:49 AM »
Nah, I used to use RPG Maker quite a few years ago which I believe is similar. I trialled a very old version of GameMaker back then so it's probably way different. What's the best features that you've found?

Hmmmm.. the best feature?

The best feature is that gamemaker has never disappointed me in any way.

I have wasted a lot of time creating and programming maps for strategy games.
take a look yourself.. this is my "command and conquer generals zero hour" alter ego, publishing the biggest, most complicated map ever created for this game:
http://www.cncmaps.com/index.php?/files/file/1453-ilove-minimissions-v120/

i have spent hundreds of hours being tormented by the shitty limitations and i was often at a point where i needed to give up, not because of my lack of skill but because of the fucking limitations. there always was a point where the tool, whichever it was, ended my programming session in an unpleasant way. you would not believe how much time it took me to be able to create such a map. i was using this tool frequently ever since 2003(!!!!), it took me 8 fucking years to be able to create such a shitty monster map. now i have learned to create more complicated stuff using game maker in less than half a year. if only i had realized that i am only wasting my time with that shitty tool earlier..

with gamemaker its just totally different. no matter what i want to do: i can theoretically do it, using that tool. if i CAN'T then i am not skilled enough yet. simple as that. you can even create 3D games using that tool, even though i have simply no idea where to start yet. (doing only 2D currently) i was never at a point where gamemaker has forced me to give up. i had to give up quite a few times because i didn't pay enough attention @ school when we were doing trigonometry. its so fucking very cool when you start using relatively complicated shit like sin, cos and tan in your game. stuff where you always thought "who needs this shit in reallife when school is over?" now i can proudly answer "I do, bitch" :D

hope that made any sense.. is 4 am..
iNerd:)

blwerlwert give me that game of yours, wanna see.

will "publish" the alpha version of my current project soon, i purchased that bitch program so i can create .exe files :)

oh and i haz LTE now so i can upload big ass bitch files now. used to have 96 kbit/s upload rate all the time until now. no kidding.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:16:28 AM by BikeDriver »

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 10:23:44 PM »
OHAI

i am making fucking ultra huge progress with my game currently.

today i added rank and size variables to enemies, so when i spawn them, I can set its size and rank. this gives me an unlimited amount of different types for each enemy object, with a spectrum of freely chosable sizes and ranks from 1-11.

rank modifies all sorts of things, like damagemultiplicator, health, speed, value (=the kill money) etc.
size makes the ship more clumpsy (=turn slower), but with more health and more POWAR (and of course with less movement speed :P)

also added rank sprites, so you can see what rank the enemy haz.

Code: [Select]
hp=20*rank*size;
badguy=1;
speed=(3+(rank-1))/size;
shipsize=0.3*size;
value=5*rank*size;
damagemultiplicator=1*rank*size;
deathtype=0; //=explosion
explosionsize=0.5*size;
fireratedeviation=50;
firerate=round(100/(rank+0.01));
mturnspeed=5*rank/size;
aturnspeed=5*rank/size;

mycolor=c_black;
movement='straight';
aim='straight';
weapon='shotgun';
firesound=snd_shotgun;

munition=obj_shotgun_ball;
bounce=0;
bulletspeed=10+(rank-1);
bulletspread=20+(rank-1);
bulletcount=20+(rank-1)*2;
bulletsize=0.05*size;
bulletdeathtype=6;
bulletexplosionsize=0.5*size;
bullethelp=0;
bulletcounter=0;

maxhp=hp;
fire=random_range(-fireratedeviation,fireratedeviation);
image_blend=mycolor;
image_angle = point_direction(x,y,obj_ship.x,obj_ship.y);
direction = point_direction(x,y,obj_ship.x,obj_ship.y);
image_xscale=shipsize;
image_yscale=shipsize;

it will be a lot of work to bring balance into the game.

as the above code shows, if I spawn a mega huge enemy, with a maximum rank of 11, the health will be... 55-folded lol. but i guess its fine, since its like the best enemy to ever be spawned.

stolen the rank thingys from here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dienstgrade_der_Streitkr%C3%A4fte_der_Vereinigten_Staaten

here, this is how the above coded enemy looks:
(is shotgun enemy.. :P)

also think about the unlimited possiblities for custom enemy tools. people can play around with ranks and ship sizes as much as they want :P

man the more i code this shitty game, the more addictive it gets.