Author Topic: Phone lego's anyone?  (Read 18690 times)

Offline EnzoMortelli

Re: Phone lego's anyone?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 08:28:08 PM »
Yea because cars can possibly be cool forever.

Phones cannot..
The Nokia 32-10 still is.

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »
Yea because cars can possibly be cool forever.

Phones cannot..

So.. You dont like the idea that you can simply upgrade your CPU, upgrade the screen, camera, internet thingy, sound. Honestly i would rather just upgrade the old one rather than go out on a bender and buy a fuckin new one for 500 euro or start a new contract that i will be stuck on for another 2 years and still pay 120 bucks for the phone. I rather pay 50 bucks for a new module than 500 for a new phone. But thats just me

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
No I do NOT like that idea because by the time the CPU is outdated, the rest of the phone will be outdated too.

You can of course keep replacing all the parts but by the time you have replaced all of them you could already have bought you a new 1-piece phone for less cash, manufactured with less ressources.......
BikeDriv:))))

Haha blwelrwelrt, I registered here earlier :P

Offline Devilboy665

• SA-MP Donator
  • Don't hate the player, hate the game, baby!
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 08:21:05 PM »
33-10 also.

This idea is great. Pointless today, but great. I remember having this SonyEricsson phone to which you could plug little lego camera in to take pictures. I don't think it will work as Google still didn't buy it off. So haha good joke.

Yet he has decided to reply normally.

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »
33-10 also.

This idea is great. Pointless today, but great. I remember having this SonyEricsson phone to which you could plug little lego camera in to take pictures. I don't think it will work as Google still didn't buy it off. So haha good joke.

Those are weapons not phones.... :P

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 07:30:29 AM »
manufactured with less ressources.......
Yes, because this CPU was produced using more ressources than for the whole phone! ::)

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »
Yes, because this CPU was produced using more ressources than for the whole phone! ::)

I said by the time the CPU is outdated, the rest of the phone will be outdated too. Replace all the fucking replaceable parts = more ressources than just buying a new phone and recycling the old one.

You people do understand that all those thingys need an additional female and male plug and all sort of other shit to make them replaceable? The problem is that this is not Lego.. its hightech bullshit.

Offline Fuse

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Even if they manage to release such a phone it will be heavier, slower and more expensive than a "1-piece" phone. And as i said its the same problem as in desktop computers and their sockets. The base does NOT last forever. So basically you spend more cash on a heavier, slower phone
Are you saying desktops are worse than laptops?

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »

I said by the time the CPU is outdated, the rest of the phone will be outdated too. Replace all the fucking replaceable parts = more ressources than just buying a new phone and recycling the old one.

You people do understand that all those thingys need an additional female and male plug and all sort of other shit to make them replaceable? The problem is that this is not Lego.. its hightech bullshit.

I dont think you understand it. You dont replace a good working HDD for a new one because the entire PC is outdated i know i dont. Same goes for lets say the speakers on the phone. I would not replace them if they still work. If the CPU is still good but the screen is bad or cracked or what ever i would replace it and not the entire phone.

Female and male plugs? How do you think they fuckin replace the broken parts in your phone when u send it their way. They are all connected to eachother by those same kind of plugs ur talking about. Nothing extra is being added m8.

Basically if your screen is cracked on a regular phone you are looking at 500 to 600 for a new phone which is infact more resources and more money. When replacing it with the blocks phone screen for perhaps 150 or less which is less resources than getting an entire new phone.

Also the whole idea behind this project. Is to actually reduce the fuckin waste phones generate these days. Replacing parts will immensely reduce the waste it provides. (heres a link to where the idea from the designer explains it: http://www.triplepundit.com/2013/09/phone-made-building-blocks-reduce-ewaste/)

About the heavier part. I dont think itll be any heavier than todays smart phones maybe 20 to 30 grams more which is nothing to cry about honestly. Its not going to be like into the KGs. My phone is 146 grams (Xperia Z) I would seriously not care if it was going close to 200grams.

Also think about how much easier it would be to just replace a broken part within hours of noticing its broken. Instead of waiting 4 to 6 weeks to get an answer like oh yea your microphone is broken replacing it takes us another 3 weeks because of all our backlog. Fuck that shit im not paying for my phone contract when i dont have a phone. Ill replace it myself rather than spending 100 bucks to let them replace it. Its cheaper and itll be faster (alot).

You mentioned something about cars earlier in this thread. That a car doesnt last a lifetime. But when a part of your car is broken you dont buy a new car you simply replace the parts. Heres a list of all things you would rather replace parts on than buying a complete new one.

- Car
- Motorcycle
- PC
- House
- Server
- and probably a bunch more stuff i cant name of the top of my head now.

So yea why not add phone to it as well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 10:32:43 PM by [eVo]PvtBenny »

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »
Its a very complex topic.

I simply do not feel the need to replace broken parts on a mobile phone. I know how to handle hardware. Not once in my lifetime have I broken a mobile phone. My very first one is probably still working. Got it about 10 years ago. Batterie probably dead.. anyway: I dont use it anymore, because it is totally outdated. Upgrading the screen wouldn't help. Upgrading the CPU wouldn't help. It is required to entirely replace the phone. It will be requried to entirely replace the lego phone too after some time.

The only good, vaild pro aspect for lego phones is the broken part replacement. But as I have said I wouldnt have needed it even once in my life time.

One more point is the recycling of broken hardware. Tell me: What is more likely? That you keep your entire old 1-piece-phones somewhere or that you have a little box for tiny broken phone hardware pieces that you recycle every once in a while?

What will you do with your old screen if it is broken? What would you do if it was still working but you only wanted a higher resolution? Would anybody be willing to pay money for the basic screen? Would you bother to post it on ebay if it is worth 10€ max? You would just throw it away and it will end up in the dump not being recycled ever.

My life simply wouldnt benefit from a lego phone in any way.

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 06:31:59 AM »
Replace all the parts = replace the phone (now don't get philosophical please).
If you don't have any fancy stuff installed i don't think you would look around a greater price or ressource usage than when buying a 1-piece phone.

What will you do with your old screen if it is broken? What would you do if it was still working but you only wanted a higher resolution? Would anybody be willing to pay money for the basic screen? Would you bother to post it on ebay if it is worth 10€ max? You would just throw it away and it will end up in the dump not being recycled ever.
There are already many recycling companies that accept old phones and phone parts, some of them even disassemble them and extract the ressources they were made of to send it to countries where people actually fight wars over the stuff our computer chips are made of. It's a question about in how far the customer is willing to take care of the environment. Of course there are some lazy motherfuckers, that don't care about environment, and buy new phones all over the place when the old one is actually still working just because their camera is not capable of making photos shitty enough for instagram. For me in personal, it's no big deal to recycle a phone, you can even pack it and send it to some of the companies. I guess they will add (or at least they should add) a service for recycling, like you could send the old parts back when you receive new ones).

If you don't care about environment, that's fine. Just keep buying and wasting normal phones. Free market economy.

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
There are already many recycling companies that accept old phones and phone parts, some of them even disassemble them and extract the ressources they were made of to send it to countries where people actually fight wars over the stuff our computer chips are made of. It's a question about in how far the customer is willing to take care of the environment. Of course there are some lazy motherfuckers, that don't care about environment, and buy new phones all over the place when the old one is actually still working just because their camera is not capable of making photos shitty enough for instagram. For me in personal, it's no big deal to recycle a phone, you can even pack it and send it to some of the companies. I guess they will add (or at least they should add) a service for recycling, like you could send the old parts back when you receive new ones).

If you don't care about environment, that's fine. Just keep buying and wasting normal phones. Free market economy.

You seem to misunderstand me. I am talking about this tiny hardware pieces that you can replace on the Lego phone. For example the tiny CPU. Would you recycle it if it is broken? Would you re-sell it if it is still working but worth only 5-10€? I highly doubt that.

But on the contrary barely anybody throws an entire broken phone away. I don't do that either. I am talking about the tiny replaceable parts. It is more likely that you throw them away, thus the ultra economic lego phones become an even bigger waste of ressources than a 1-piece-phone.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:37:46 AM by BikeDriver »

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:12 PM »
If the parts are still working i would probably put them in a box and save them up incase a part gets broken i would still have a backup. If i got multiple parts i would probably just sell them as a pack deal for perhaps 20 to 30 bucks depending on the modules.

I also still have my very first phone in a box laying around somewhere and any other phones i have had as well. I simply kept them incase of emergency backup. My first phone is pretty much 12 yrs old now and it still works. Thing is though the phone is no longer supported on the nowadays network for in and outgoing calls (outdated tech)

They have already confirmed it though that it will reduce waste. And parts will be recyclable.

I for one have a box that i use for old broken parts that every once in a while i bring to our local electronic shop that pretty much gives me a few bucks and they either repair it or send it to some kind of foundation or what ever. And i would probably do exactly the same for the phone modules if there isnt a better alternative by then.

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 07:23:01 PM »
They have already confirmed it though that it will reduce waste. And parts will be recyclable.

Of course they comfirm that. They want to make money after all.

And of course they are also recycleable. But the question is if people bother to recycle/re-sell those tiny parts or just throw them away.

Offline Devilboy665

• SA-MP Donator
  • Don't hate the player, hate the game, baby!
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2013, 11:28:31 PM »
Wow. Such a smart people we have here. How come none of you made something by now?

Yet he has decided to reply normally.