Author Topic: Suggestion : ChatBox for forum  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Lofty

• SA-MP Server Admin
    • Awards
Suggestion : ChatBox for forum
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
Hey guys

I always get on the forum and wonder why we don't have a standard shoutbox for the forum so we will be able to communicate with one another faster !

Preferably installed on the index forum page right above the "Information " section !

-Lofty

Offline Quickplay

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Crazy Mind
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: Quickplay
Re: Suggestion : ChatBox for forum
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »
I don't see the point of having a chatbox in a server's forum...another thing would be if it was a clan's forum

If you want to chat, get your ass ingame and do it there  :D

Offline Lofty

• SA-MP Server Admin
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 09:58:23 PM »
I just thought it would be an awesome way of communicating if you don't feel like going on servers or if you don't have your PC ... I personaly would love it lets wait to see what other people think ;p

chating on forum + chating in server = double orgasm

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »
We quite have enough forum lurkers that never even visit the server, although we want the server to be populated in the first place. The forum is meant to be the community backbone of LWs, not the main channel of community interactions, that would be the server.
If you want to chat, join the server. The more players are online, the more other players will join (in fullfillment of some laws of enthropy).
And if you really have to talk to someone whos not on the server: We have a offtopic forum, private forum messages, and an irc channel. Also there's a LW steam group.

In addition, with all the retards around here, a shoutbox would hsve to be monitored and moderated constantly, which we as grown-up, life-having staff team, which we are steadily spending our free time on monitoring the server, are not willing to dedicate capacities to, in favour of the server.

Or, short and simple: no.

Offline Squash

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Mythological Talentless
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »
We quite have enough forum lurkers that never even visit the server, although we want the server to be populated in the first place. The forum is meant to be the community backbone of LWs, not the main channel of community interactions, that would be the server.
If you want to chat, join the server. The more players are online, the more other players will join (in fullfillment of some laws of enthropy).
And if you really have to talk to someone whos not on the server: We have a offtopic forum, private forum messages, and an irc channel. Also there's a LW steam group.

In addition, with all the retards around here, a shoutbox would hsve to be monitored and moderated constantly, which we as grown-up, life-having staff team, which we are steadily spending our free time on monitoring the server, are not willing to dedicate capacities to, in favour of the server.

Or, short and simple: no.
I agree..

Offline Lofty

• SA-MP Server Admin
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »
okay as you wish just suggesting and just because you will add ChatBox doesn't mean you'll lose players , it could work vice versa , people chatting in ChatBox can meet and then invite themselves to play online together = more players ...

just because you will add a little chatbox doesn't mean you will eventually lose some players . I for one think that if I meet a friend in ChatBox I could ask him to play on server thus making more players come ...

It can work both ways  ;)

Offline PawnFox

• SA-MP
  • SA-MP Retirees
  • 187 Co.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 01:01:33 PM »
This suggestion was suggested before and got denied :)
If you really want to chat with us, i suggest you to join our irc channel #lw on IRC.tl :)

Offline Lofty

• SA-MP Server Admin
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
I won't argue but honestly ChatBox would require nearly no effort while you are still browsing forum but IRC is too calm I never find anyone but on the forum there are most of the time 5-8 users online but 0on IRC  ::)

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:10:06 PM by [eVo]PvtBenny »

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »
There are permanently 5 - 10 users on #lw

people chatting in ChatBox can meet and then invite themselves to play online together = more players ...
From my experiences with shoutboxes on other community forums this is an exceptional case, if happening at all.

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »
It would be an idea to place the link to that topic on the front page of the forum though. Same kind of thing like the "Play on the server now" button. But instead it would take you to the IRC webbased client.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Lofty

• SA-MP Server Admin
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »
there is nobody on the IRC this is the 5th time I log onto it in the past 2 weeks... @Benny that could also be interesting but it would add a lot of effort while the ChatBox is just a plug-in that could easily added through admincp : http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1295

Wouldn't look awesome ?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:37:11 PM by Lofty »

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
Are you kidding me? There are currently 20 users online on #lw on irc.tl at this very moment.

But i can figure how you joining irc and checking for anyone online would look like:

Code: [Select]
[22:34:25] Join: Lofty [lofty@loftyusers.com]
[22:34:27] Lofty: Hi, anyone here?
[22:34:43] Disconnect: Lofty: -.-

However this isn't how irc works. People there are not sitting there all day long waiting for you to join and chat.

Offline Bikerr

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Get busy living, or get busy dying.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 02:32:28 PM »
I personally think a chatbox wouldn't harm that much in regards to server inactivity, and it might add to some forum activity. Could be alot of fun...

But yea, there are those people who will just fuck things up, and thus, as Enzo said, the chatbox must be monitored. Also it might cause some lagg on the forum.

That being said... I think a test run wouldn't harm too much?

Click signature to enlarge and admire!

"plzz notify me when entering dejo" -sebi.RADIO

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
there is nobody on the IRC this is the 5th time I log onto it in the past 2 weeks... @Benny that could also be interesting but it would add a lot of effort while the ChatBox is just a plug-in that could easily added through admincp : http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1295

Wouldn't look awesome ?

Lol.. You obviously dont know any coding/scripting. Its alot easier to add 3 to 5 more lines of code to the already existing page. Infact it would probably a simple copy paste and adjust from the already existing "play on the server now" button.

Besides IRC is alot easier to control. You dont have any crap piling up on your server. Dont have trouble with annoying spammers either.