Author Topic: GTA Vice City has stopped working  (Read 5766 times)

Offline HARIS

• Kiddy Fish
    • Awards
GTA Vice City has stopped working
« on: March 10, 2016, 08:08:43 PM »
I had this problem as well and somehow fixed it by using Start search for "Vice City" after uninstalling and using Crap Cleaner afterwards to completely remove everything. Reboot and re-install, add the EXE to the DEP list and boom it worked.

For adding the EXE to the DEP list:

Open the Start menu, in the search box type "advanced system settings".
One result will appear, click it.
In the window that opens, click the Advanced tab, then the first Settings button
Go to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab, and click "Add..." to add an exception.
Browse to your gta-vc.exe and select it.
Now "OK" all the dialogs until they're closed

Hello,
I am encountering an issue with my Steam copy of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The issue arises whenever I am loading the game. More specifically, whenever the opening credits sequence starts, or as soon as a key is struck, the game crashes, resulting in the message, "gta-vc.exe has stopped working" being displayed. I have attempted multiple fixes to address the problem, but none so far have worked. These include:
Attempting to add the file to DEP;
Attempting to edit the .exe file to allow for Windows XP / 7 compatibility (I'm using 7);
Verifying local cache;
And uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times.
The most interesting thing here, however, is that I appear to be completely missing the .exe file somehow! Whenever I attempt to access it, it simply says that the file cannot be found. This issue is not addressed, no matter how many times I verify the cache or reinstall the game.
If someone could please offer advice to me regarding this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
P.S., I should note that I apparently have two copies of the game in my library (?!), and that one tells me that it is not available on my current platform. That version also has a much, much lower number of Hub contributions shown (213 as opposed to 15,480).

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I do, in fact, have the .exe file. I didn't notice it at first due to its lack of the ".exe" directory. However, it lacks a compatibility section under "Properties", making compatibility setting checks apparently moot.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:16:07 PM by HARIS »

Offline SMD

• VC-MP Donator
  • Don't Break Rules or i reach you.
    • Awards
  • VC-MP: [VU]SMD_Driver
Re: GTA Vice City has stopped working
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 02:02:28 AM »
I had this problem as well and somehow fixed it by using Start search for "Vice City" after uninstalling and using Crap Cleaner afterwards to completely remove everything. Reboot and re-install, add the EXE to the DEP list and boom it worked.

For adding the EXE to the DEP list:

Open the Start menu, in the search box type "advanced system settings".
One result will appear, click it.
In the window that opens, click the Advanced tab, then the first Settings button
Go to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab, and click "Add..." to add an exception.
Browse to your gta-vc.exe and select it.
Now "OK" all the dialogs until they're closed

http://forum.littlewhiteys.co.uk/index.php/topic,24653.msg251554/boardseen.html#new

Hello,
I am encountering an issue with my Steam copy of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The issue arises whenever I am loading the game. More specifically, whenever the opening credits sequence starts, or as soon as a key is struck, the game crashes, resulting in the message, "gta-vc.exe has stopped working" being displayed. I have attempted multiple fixes to address the problem, but none so far have worked. These include:
Attempting to add the file to DEP;
Attempting to edit the .exe file to allow for Windows XP / 7 compatibility (I'm using 7);
Verifying local cache;
And uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times.
The most interesting thing here, however, is that I appear to be completely missing the .exe file somehow! Whenever I attempt to access it, it simply says that the file cannot be found. This issue is not addressed, no matter how many times I verify the cache or reinstall the game.
If someone could please offer advice to me regarding this issue, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
P.S., I should note that I apparently have two copies of the game in my library (?!), and that one tells me that it is not available on my current platform. That version also has a much, much lower number of Hub contributions shown (213 as opposed to 15,480).

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I do, in fact, have the .exe file. I didn't notice it at first due to its lack of the ".exe" directory. However, it lacks a compatibility section under "Properties", making compatibility setting checks apparently moot.

Can you post a screen shot of the error?

I think this is in the wrong section its hard find it out after 1st time reading.

Credits : KocKex

Offline HARIS

• Kiddy Fish
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:04:54 AM »
After just a few hours of play, Vice City has stopped working for no reason. I can run it if I click 'run as' and check 'Protect my computer and data...' but save games do not appear, thanks to the restrictions this puts on. I have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall but the problem stays, what could be stopping it from working?

P.S. 'Stopped working' means I click on the EXE and sod all happens.

Offline SMD

• VC-MP Donator
  • Don't Break Rules or i reach you.
    • Awards
  • VC-MP: [VU]SMD_Driver
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 02:11:45 PM »

Credits : KocKex