Author Topic: Phone lego's anyone?  (Read 18684 times)

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
Phone lego's anyone?
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »
So yea watch the video on this website and let me know what u think.

www.phonebloks.com

I for one think its a frickin genius idea :)

Offline EnzoMortelli

Re: Phone lego's anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:20:35 PM »
This will propably be destroyed to oblivion by the largest mobile device corporations, because they fear to loose their market and their economical growth to this, or this becomes the next iPhone and will be available at skyhigh prices, so whoever buys it does not endanger the sales of the industry by not needing to buy another one in two months. Also, the same goes for the blocks then.
Apart from that - it's an awesome idea and i want one right now.

Offline SKY

• Quad Buddy
  • SA-MP Retirees
  • GrandDaddy Bikerr, LETS GET IT LETS GO!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:49:43 PM »
Looks cool i saw it to, hopefully its waterproof xD?
Since 2008
If you are not part of the quadbuddy association than we can not be friends.

Offline Simon

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Retired
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: [CP]Simon
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 12:10:07 AM »
It's a designers wet dream with no consideration to engineering. You can't just have magic pins which drive all interfaces, a GPU connection requires a lot more bandwidth than a Wi-Fi connection. Properly engineered hardware takes advantage of distance to components and purposefully uses different bus sizes.

What about individual phone designs? Are we now destined to have shitty blocks for phones?

This seems to be the breadboard reimagined.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:12:31 AM by Simon »

Hanney

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 01:13:10 AM »
What happens if I drop my phone in public? Would it shatter leaving me having to stand around picking up tiny little lego pieces hoping I haven't missed a part in a panic? o.O

Offline Fuse

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
Good idea but probably very hard to engineer it the way the video explains it.. I agree with what simon said, because i doubt a GPU is wired in the same way as a battery is for example. If companies could start repairing the stuff they sell for a reasonable price, then that would be a better idea.

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 01:51:36 PM »
Good idea but probably very hard to engineer it the way the video explains it.. I agree with what simon said, because i doubt a GPU is wired in the same way as a battery is for example. If companies could start repairing the stuff they sell for a reasonable price, then that would be a better idea.

The fact that things can already be engineered on nano level. Gives me positive hope that they can accomplish this goal. I think its very much possible to do this. GPU's come in all shapes, wiring and sizes. All you pretty much need to do is put controllers in the base platform that can detect what is being placed in its socket. The building blocks for this kind of project already exist. Think about how traffic lights are being controlled (PLC look it up). Think about computers. We can switch things out to make it work again if it was broken. All these things are pretty much the concept for phonebloks.

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
A mini computer-like phone where you can replace the CPU and other chips might be do-able but this block idea is just bullshit.
BikeDriv:))))

Haha blwelrwelrt, I registered here earlier :P

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »
... but this block idea is just bullshit.

What do you mean?

The concept of it being blocky? Or like the Camera as a block, battery as a block, speaker as a block etc etc ?

Offline Lofty

• SA-MP Server Admin
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
not bad .. i'd buy it but those are the types of "ideas" you find online but you never see them come true simply because the phone companies want to make more money and if this happens less phones will be bought , even if you consider the sales of the individual items you will never get to the same amount of profit. So it'll be hard to see this come true even if most of the people want it to.  :'(

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
... but this block idea is just bullshit.

What do you mean?

The concept of it being blocky? Or like the Camera as a block, battery as a block, speaker as a block etc etc ?

The whole block concept is nonsense.
You need to put so much work and ressources into the blocks in order to make them compatible..

Todays mobile phones may be non-repair-able, non-upgrade-able, but they still have 1 giant advantage: they use as few ressources as somehow possible, simply because the manufacturers want to spend as few monies as possible. Also they are super effective because everything is perfectly balanced.

With the block design you put more ressources into the phones than required, just so you can easily replace them. And who is seriously in the need of constantly changing blocks? Thats just utter bullshit.

Another problem is that humanity can not predict the future. Sooner or later the base of this block phone will be out-dated. Which means you will still have to replace your entire phone. That is unavoidable, simply because there always is SOME kind of development. If that wasn't the case then we could already create a phone which will be up-to-date even in 10 years. But with the block phone they ignore that... the fucking base will not last forever.

BTW: resources in current phones do not vanish. You can recycle them..

This entire idea just lacks common sense. And the biggest problem is of course the bullshit with the pins. How on earth is the base supposed to know what part you have connected to which slots? If they really were to make it as compatible as described in the video you could easily build a short circuit/burn all your fucking blocks to ashes.

I just cannot believe how stupid people are. It's like a kid saying that it would be cool to have a car which can fly and swim and dive and travel to the fucking moon. Sience simply doesn't work like that -.-
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:27:15 PM by BikeDriver »

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
So to all of you who didnt think it to be possbile....

Phonebloks - The next step

They are actually releasing a dev kit this winter so other companies can start making prototype blocks.

Just an FYI

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 06:14:37 PM »
Well.. it might be possible but i stick to my opinion that a block phone will NEVER be able to mess with true "1-piece" phones. Not even nearly.

There are too many disadvantages in this concept..

Even if they manage to release such a phone it will be heavier, slower and more expensive than a "1-piece" phone. And as i said its the same problem as in desktop computers and their sockets. The base does NOT last forever. So basically you spend more cash on a heavier, slower phone just to enable you to replace broken parts until the phone is out-dated.

Btw my "smart" phone is now 3 years old and it looks brand new and works like a charm..

Just imagine a car. Just because you can replace every single part doesnt mean that you keep that fucking car until your life is over. And it also doesnt mean that a repair is always cheaper than a full replacement.
Its exactly the same with this useless phone concept.

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 07:49:54 PM »
Just imagine a car. Just because you can replace every single part doesnt mean that you keep that fucking car until your life is over. And it also doesnt mean that a repair is always cheaper than a full replacement.
Its exactly the same with this useless phone concept.

With an old car i just might keep it :P

Specially something like an old 1965 1966 impala :D

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 07:55:39 PM »
Yea because cars can possibly be cool forever.

Phones cannot..