Author Topic: [Android] Printicular  (Read 7895 times)

Offline Simon

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Retired
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: [CP]Simon
[Android] Printicular
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »
Hey guys,

Me and a group of 3 others made an Android application (Printicular) as part of a university paper. We have one week left of the course and have finally pushed a release to the Play Store.

Basically the app allows users to pick photos from their phone/Facebook and print them at their local Walgreens pharmacy. Which the user then goes to the store, picks it up and pays for it. Sadly Walgreens is only available in the US so this app may not be useful to those residing outside of the US.

If you have any mates who live in the US and may be interested then please pass it on (the application is free to download). My group has one week left to work on the application (in which we'll be working toward polishing the application) so feedback/bug reports/reviews are appreciated.

edit: It has come to my attention that this is only downloadable in the US and NZ. US because that's where Walgreens is, and I guess NZ so that the developers can download it. Unfortunately, this prevents a large portion of the community from using it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:31:55 AM by Simon »

Offline SKY

• Quad Buddy
  • SA-MP Retirees
  • GrandDaddy Bikerr, LETS GET IT LETS GO!
    • Awards
Re: [Android] Printicular
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »
cool :D, so is it free for now until you fully release it?
Since 2008
If you are not part of the quadbuddy association than we can not be friends.

Offline Simon

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Retired
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:39:17 AM »
cool :D, so is it free for now until you fully release it?

The app is fully released and will have another quite significant update within the next week. After the next week the current development team will finish up our contract, so we are hoping that the company picks up the code and continues implementing new features. It will be something cool to put on our CVs at least :)

It is free to download because the company we made it for has made an agreement with Walgreens to get a commission on the printed photos (so that's their way of monetizing it) and us students have worked for free. Obviously you will have to pay for each photo (since each photo has a cost) if you go to checkout and complete checking out.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:07:32 AM by Simon »

Offline n1K

• SA-MP Server Admin
  • COCKY PRICK!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 05:05:54 AM »
I dont live in US, but i looked up your app on play store and it says it is not compatible with any of my devices (my tablet, my galaxy nexus and my sony ercison). You might need to look this up, as it wont be visible on play store if it isnt compatible.

Offline Simon

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Retired
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 05:46:58 AM »
Hmm. It is compatible with my Galaxy Nexus. Maybe the guy in charge of the Play Store account has region restricted it to NZ and the US, which is a bit of a bummer (but I suppose it makes sense). Does it state a reason for it not being compatible?

Offline n1K

• SA-MP Server Admin
  • COCKY PRICK!!!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:30:45 AM »
"This item cannot be installed on your device's country".

Offline Simon

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Retired
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:08 AM »
"This item cannot be installed on your device's country".

Interesting, thanks for trying to check it out. I guess that restricts a large portion of the community from playing around with it. The restriction is out of my control so I will add it to the opening post so it doesn't waste time for any non-US players who might want to try it.

Offline dugi

• Management
    • best song ever
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 02:06:49 PM »
Same here, not available for my galaxy s3 and htc desire in Poland

You should consider using google cloud print API https://developers.google.com/cloud-print/ that way you could print from   android to your own printer at home or any printer
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 05:08:26 PM by dugi »

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »
Yep, if you do i will print a z0r-flash of my choice to all the printers in my university.
joke. i don't even have an android device.

Offline iMJets

• SA-MP Donator
  • .::[UB]::. Clan Founder
    • [UnBreakables] Clan Forums
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: Jets[UB]
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 06:55:08 AM »
ill try it out i live in NY and live right next  to wallgreens lol

Offline Simon

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Retired
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »
ill try it out i live in NY and live right next  to wallgreens lol

Cool. How did it work out? We have passed on the source code to the company we made it for (exam time), they are going to make some minor changes before the next release of the app which will include printing from Instagram functionality.

The app got a bit of local press which is exciting! It is good material to put on my CV. It looks like the concept has sparked a bit of interest with photo printing businesses.

Waikato Times
University Press-release
New Zealand Herald
ComputerWorld NZ
Scoop NZ