Author Topic: Lenovo Y580 is the motherboard damaged? :o  (Read 3672 times)

Offline [JOKER]Miczi

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Proud LW player since SA-MP 0,1b
    • Awards
Lenovo Y580 is the motherboard damaged? :o
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »
Hey, It's been a while, but everytime I had some problem with my laptop I asked here and usually got help, so here we go again.

What's going on:
I went on holidays and left my laptop very hidden in my wardrobe. After a week, when I came back, I've noticed a problem. When I pressed the power button, the laptop would start, show me the Lenovo logo etc. but after 2-3 seconds it would turn off. Tried it a few times, removed the battery and stuff, after some time it worked (all I know now is that it's not the battery). I left my laptop in sleep mode for the night, and the next day I had the same situation. Then I decided to remove my HDD (the system is on SDD, the HDD was broken for months but I was too lazy to remove it). Suddenly it worked - but maybe it was just a coincidence. For the next few days I was very careful, I didn't use the sleep mode, but turned off my laptop everytime I didn't work on it (usually I turn it off only like once for a few days).

And now it happened again. I couldn't turn it on. After a few tries, removing the battery etc. it worked. So my question is: do you think the motherboard might be fucked up? Well, I'm almost sure it's that, but I want to know what some smarter people think about it. I'm using this laptop for over 2 years now (time to fuck up, isn't it?). I've had problems before with the graphic card - I've seen artifacts ingame, but I lowered the Graphic Card clock ticking or something and it worked. Once in a while when I play a game the screen might go black for a second and then I see the windows popup "The display driver stopped working, but it's okay now".

My warranty is long gone. I know, I should have returned it when I noticed the problems with the graphics (first months of using it), but I couldn't imagine staying without a laptop for a few weeks. If it's the motherboard, is there anything I can to, beside heating it (which is generally not reccomended?).

Thanks in advance,
Yours forever, Miczi

Offline Quickplay

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Crazy Mind
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: Quickplay
Re: Lenovo Y580 is the motherboard damaged? :o
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:49:40 PM »
I might say a folishness, but it might be your fan not working well/being stuck and then the laptop goes in protection mode to avoid high temperatures...
Did you notice if the fan(s) has used to be a bit noisy lately?
I'm asking you this cause i had this problem and it made my laptop turn off everytime, short after windows was about to load; and your matter made me remind of that.

Btw what's up man?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 09:51:41 PM by Quickplay »

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:28:55 PM »
How does it turn off?
Is it just cutting the power right away, or does it like close something or fade out or show any errors/blue screens?

If it's cutting the power off hard, it might be something about temperature. If you get it to run again maybe consider getting Coretemp on it and check out what happens to the temperature before it turns off.

It may also be your PSU going off service or a defective powercord, check that aswell.

If nothing else, it might be the mainboard, but mainboard failures usually throw something and not just cut the power off silently - depends though.

Apparently two years is fairly only midlife crisis for laptops. I'm still running a four year old acer, and i know someone with a lenovo of the same age still running and another dude with a seven year old Thinkpad running CentOS flawlessly.

Offline Naoufal

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:52:52 PM »
Probably is your laptop getting too warm, your fan is working as well?

Offline Puranjay

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 03:20:26 AM »
I might say a folishness, but it might be your fan not working well/being stuck and then the laptop goes in protection mode to avoid high temperatures...
Did you notice if the fan(s) has used to be a bit noisy lately?
I'm asking you this cause i had this problem and it made my laptop turn off everytime, short after windows was about to load; and your matter made me remind of that.

Btw what's up man?
Same Question man?

Offline Kaitlyn

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 06:54:05 AM »
Already encountered that problem. Usually it beeps. Does it beep? I think the problem is the thermostat. Is it warm? Once you boot your PC, it will run for about 5-10 mins. then it will turn off, but it will warn you with beeping sounds.

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »
Nah, only jackass laptops beep \o/

Offline [JOKER]Miczi

• SA-MP Retirees
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
Hey, sorry for late reply, tough week :P

Enzo, it looks like it's cutting the power right away.
I don't think it's fan, I haven't noticed anything weird about that. What is more, it stops working like 2 seconds after I press the power button, isn't that too short for any overheating stuff to react? It's cold as ice :P Oh, and when it's working (for example now), it works just fine. I can play games for hours, it would get just as warm as it used to (actually it used to get much hotter before, when I played "heavier" games like Skyrim). It never turned off once it's working, only during turning on.

Since I wrote this post, that would be 3 days, I didn't have any problems, but I always remember to shut it down instead of sleeping. So maybe that's the problem? It has problems with starting from the sleep mode? I should test it, but I'm quite scared that it won't turn on :P

And it's not beeping :P

Btw what's up man?

36hours a week on uni + 30 hours a week on internship + writing my Bachelor's paper and I don't really time for much more :P Plus my external HDD with lots of stuff including GTA:SA died. Someday, when I'm not lazy, I will download it again and kick some asses on LW :D And how are you?

Offline Quickplay

• SA-MP Retirees
  • Crazy Mind
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: Quickplay
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
36hours a week on uni + 30 hours a week on internship + writing my Bachelor's paper and I don't really time for much more :P Plus my external HDD with lots of stuff including GTA:SA died. Someday, when I'm not lazy, I will download it again and kick some asses on LW :D And how are you?
I'm good thanks! well then you're almost done with uni then, nice

Offline [JOKER]Miczi

• SA-MP Retirees
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »
Okay, update:
When I remember to turn it off instead of sleeping, it works well... at least it did for last 2 weeks or something like that. Today when I was working on it, after a few hours it turned off. It wasn't like just cutting the power off - the screen turned black, and then, after a second or two, the radiators and everything stopped working. When I tried to turn it on, it didn't work at first, but when I tried again it worked just fine. But then, after about an hour it turned off again. Now it works okay. Any idea? Is it telling me to start writing that fucking bachelor paper? :D

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 11:08:34 PM »
Sounds like it's telling you to consider making backups of your thesis on external storages as often as possible :/ After all it may be the motherboard, but it's really strange that it just turns off silently without showing any sort of bluescreen or alerts. Not waking from sleep could also be RAM-related. Do you by any coincidence run a 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit processor? Because sleep mode doing weird shit is exactly what happened to me when i tried that.

Offline PawnFox

• SA-MP
  • SA-MP Retirees
  • 187 Co.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 07:14:08 AM »
I had myself problems with laptop and i contact a PC service. You better do the same.  ;D
Also, if you still have warranty for him, its way better.