Author Topic: For Gaming: W7 or XP  (Read 3836 times)

Offline AJP

• SA-MP Retirees
  • N1158Q
    • Awards
For Gaming: W7 or XP
« on: July 20, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
Well I recently built my new pc (holla at sneaky for helping me :D) with the following specs:

Graphics Card: GTX460 SE 1GB DDR5
RAM: 2 DDR3 1333 Corsairs with 4GB
Mobo: Asus P8P67-M PRO
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
Power Supply: 600W Thermaltake

I am downloading Windows 7 professional but a friend of mine told me that XP is better for gaming, and it would be nice to know some opinions here before I install either of these.

Please don't post here unless you know your shit, and I don't want a 1 word answer, explain why you would choose one or the other.

Offline bulletinu

• SA-MP Donator
  • Proud V member!
    • Awards
Re: For Gaming: W7 or XP
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
Well..for some games XP is better (for example with XP i ran better GTA IV).The difference is not big.With ur computer u wont feel the difference.Also u cant turn on the DX10 support on XP.Depends what games u will play.Some new games cant be run on XP (Just Cause 2 for example).Im with W7 and im happy with it even with my computer who is less powerful than urs.Oh btw and RAM u have 4 GB or 2x4 ?

Offline iMJets

• SA-MP Donator
  • .::[UB]::. Clan Founder
    • [UnBreakables] Clan Forums
    • Awards
  • SA-MP: Jets[UB]
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:42:50 PM »
Windows 7 can run all the newer games and most old ones. Theres a lot of newer games that have dropped XP support.

Offline [V]ACE

• SA-MP Retirees
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »
I got win 7 and i never think "oh man xp would be better for games at the moment". I would go with win. 7. A lot of new games are dropping XP support, and i suspect (at some point) a lot of drivers/hardware will also be dropped for win xp forcing you to up-grade at some point.

ofc if you have the cash you could duel boot....(never done it myself, would like to, but cba)

TOP-SAMP

Offline tony_ab

• Fish 'n' Chips
  • sup
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »
yeah i agree with most of the guys above.. If you are gonna play all the new games (i assume that by looking at ur specs :D) then use Windows 7, as most of the new games have support for it..
[V]1rU$ 4ever :)

Offline elof

• MTA:SA Race Admin
  • I've been to Brighton too! So What.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
Dual boot if you have HD space.

Sneaky

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
What ACE said.., games like Just Cause 2 for example already dropped XP support, I assume this is going to happen for a lot of games in the next couple of years. XP also doesn't support directx 10/11. But it depends on what you prefer, if you rather stick with Windows XP cause you're used to it, then that's okay, both OS's are perfectly fine for gaming, unless you really want those directx11 graphics (personally I don't see much of a difference, not many games use directx11 yet anyways).

Edit: you might have problems activating win7, unless you got a legal key, I'd go with XP for now if I were you until you manage to get win7 legal.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 01:50:30 PM by Sneaky »

Offline [Cheetos]

• SA-MP Donator
  • "I never think of the future,It comes soon enough"
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
I've tried them both at 4 games (BFBC2 , NFS HP, PES11,TF2) , in general had no problems with both but im feelin better when im using WIN 7 as u've to get good graphic card and it will run it perfectly (your GFX is good tho)

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
Win XP btw only supports 3 GB ram, if u have more you can still run windows perfectly, but XP will never use more then 3 GB of it :P

Offline [V]ACE

• SA-MP Retirees
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »
Win XP btw only supports 3 GB ram, if u have more you can still run windows perfectly, but XP will never use more then 3 GB of it :P
Neither will win 7 unless you get 64bit versions of the OS (i.e win xp 64/ win 7 64) and both will use a max of 3.3gb.

TOP-SAMP

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »
i can only speak from my experience:
windows XP 32 Bit:
- more FPS in SA:MP

windows 7 64 BIT:
- overall faster, faster startup
- less FPS in SA:MP
- 2 times more FPS in GTA:IV
- crash if i play SAMP while a second monitor device is activated (no more VLC while playing SAMP -.-)

i have no idea if this is related to my graphics card.

overall:
w7 64 bit if you want to play new games.
XP 32 bit if you only want to play samp and/or old games.

another solution is to install both OS's but thats a lot more work because then you have to keep the drivers up-to-date on 2 computers...
BikeDriv:))))

Haha blwelrwelrt, I registered here earlier :P

Offline HASEEB1

• Big Fish
  • Nothing is true.Everything is permissible!
    • gtaassassins
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »
ur computer spcs r very good
i will suggest win 7 bcuz u will be able to play all games in max settings.additional advantage of win 7 is directx11,which is not available for xp not even 10:P

Offline [V]ACE

• SA-MP Retirees
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
windows XP 32 Bit:

windows 7 64 BIT:
off topic i know but in win 7 and samp after the game loads, have you tried bringing up task mananger, processess, samp.exe, right click, affinity and see if all cores are enabled. At first in win 7 (on a better comp) i got less fps. Did this and boom = more fps.
Might work, might not :D

TOP-SAMP

Offline BikeDriver

• Fisher
  • I can do anything
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 12:21:50 PM »
windows XP 32 Bit:

windows 7 64 BIT:
off topic i know but in win 7 and samp after the game loads, have you tried bringing up task mananger, processess, samp.exe, right click, affinity and see if all cores are enabled. At first in win 7 (on a better comp) i got less fps. Did this and boom = more fps.
Might work, might not :D

i always do that but still: i had MORE fps with XP
BikeDriv:))))

Haha blwelrwelrt, I registered here earlier :P

Offline [JOKER]Ya$N

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 01:30:36 PM »
i always do that but still: i had MORE fps with XP
True!! im getting more fps in windows xp !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stunt video || Click
---------------------------------

CPU: Intel® Coreâ„¢ i7-4790K Processor  | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 4GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | HDD: Seagate 1TB | CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | PSU: Cooler Master G750M | CASE: Thermaltake Chaser A31
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 6400DPI | Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Control Edition | Speakers: Logitech X-530 Surround Sound 5.1 | Controller: XBOX 360 Black