Author Topic: Front Panel USB not working.  (Read 6142 times)

ankit

Front Panel USB not working.
« on: February 02, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
Well, last night i was having some trouble with the front panel audio jack and i fixed that somehow. But while doing that i also removed front panel USB wire from the motherboard to make some room.
After that i plugged everything back in it's exact position. But sadly when i turned on my PC, front panel stopped working.
Any help would be appreciated here.

Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P21

Offline Habdel

• SA-MP Server Admin
  • SA-MP Developer
    • Awards
Re: Front Panel USB not working.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
Maybe you didn't plug it well OR maybe you burned the pins when you removed or pluged the wires.

Offline Fuse

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
Use the onboard panel :)

Offline EnzoMortelli

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:24:34 PM »
Maybe you didn't plug it well OR maybe you burned the pins when you removed or pluged the wires.
Basically all i'd think of either. Most propably something went wrong with the cables.
Did you have a look yet if the windows device manager even finds that front panel device? Maybe it's drivers just need a manual reinstall.
Had a more or less similar problem with my relative's old machine, where front sound didn't work while front usb still did. However this was a problem of missing soundcard drivers, so the onboard soundcard jacks wouldn't work either. Solved it by abandoning that entire pc and using an old machine instead :/

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:00:03 PM »
Before you attempt anything else. Are you 100 % positive that you plugged in everything the way it is supposed to ? Because even the tiniest mistake with frontpanel connectors on the motherboard will fry your entire motherboard including your CPU. Which will probably set you back a rough 300 to 400 euro or more if anything else is fried.

1st: Make sure you didnt switch the connector upside down. Needs to be plugged in the right way and not turned. Theres a reason the wires are color coded (different voltages etc etc)
2nd: Did you mess with any BIOS settings?
3rd: Did you reinstall the driver software?
4th: Next time you got a problem work it down systematically. Meaning you start with the software first. Then you check if something is disconnected or not. Unplugging and replugging is the last thing you do since thats the part you can make most of the mistakes in like you have experienced now.

Offline Fuse

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 02:26:22 AM »
Actually i think you'd get a bluescreen before things starts to BURN, but i'm not sure

ankit

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:41 AM »
1. I did connect all the wires correctly.
2. I tried looking into the Device Manager but those ports are not even showing there.

Guess, i have to use onboard panel now.

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:01:15 AM »
Actually i think you'd get a bluescreen before things starts to BURN, but i'm not sure

You can think what you want but i actually know this stuff.
Bluescreen is software related. You will not encounter those when your problem is hardware related.

1. I did connect all the wires correctly.
2. I tried looking into the Device Manager but those ports are not even showing there.

Guess, i have to use onboard panel now.

1. Ok
2. That is because you had those drivers installed before. You need to uninstall those drivers and then reinstall them.
3. It might help to reinstall windows but i dont think you would want that.
4. You probably damaged something already when doing this. If you really want to use the front panel again i suggest you bring it to a PC shop.

Offline Fuse

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »
Excuse me senor computer professional

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
Excuse me senor computer professional
lol'ed xD

ankit

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 04:06:09 PM »
Thanks a lot benny. I'll go with Option 4, as it would be safe.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:28:51 PM by rockhardy »

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »
So how did it work out ? Did u get it fixed ?

ankit

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »
So how did it work out ? Did u get it fixed ?
Nope. i didn't let the guy loose other connections and without doing that he couldn't get through.  :-X

Offline [eVo]PvtBenny

• SA-MP Donator
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 01:25:10 PM »
Ok well ive got a few more options for you that you could try. But before i let you in on that i need to know the make and model number of your motherboard.

ankit

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
Ok well ive got a few more options for you that you could try. But before i let you in on that i need to know the make and model number of your motherboard.
MSI 760GM-P21(FX) (MS-7641)